Nowadays we all live in jungle but a concrete jungle. No doubt City life gives us all necessities which we need for Living a good life which is why people are attracted towards urban. Rapid urbanization, industrialization, land ceiling, construction of multistoried buildings, wide roads, offices, markets have resulted in non availability of land for gardening work in big cities and towns. Cities are crowded with buildings, routes, Multiplex etc. which all are sources of pollution. The places are so crowded that it’s impossible to plant a single tree. Let alone a garden be the source of living and health benefits. The program ‘Urban Gardening Program’ started during the outbreak of COVID-19. The disease has spread across the globe, infecting over four million people and claiming more than 300,000 lives. While everyone is facing unprecedented challenges, its serious impacts are bound to be felt most in the already poor economies. Cities and towns, where people live and work in close proximity, are among the worst hit in light of how the disease spreads. In context of Nepal, due to political instability and frequent strikes people are suffering a lot in every sector. Rapid urbanization and pollution has caused agricultural land to be less productive and deteriorates soil quality. People still have to grapple with the consequences of abnormal rainfall and floods last year which destroyed crops, followed by a locust outbreak which is predicted to come back stronger this growing season. With proper implementation, urban farming could be a major avenue to bridge some of the food gaps and contribute to the much-needed employment creation, potentially absorbing a large section of those now completely or partially jobless, or just have more time being at home.
The overall benefits of Urban Gardening Program are enlisted below:
- It provides chemical free, nutritious, fresh supply of home- grown vegetables and
- It helps the environment and reduce carbon footprint. The plant that we grow will
improve air quality.
- It gives the opportunity to get closer to nature, without taking much effort.
- It provides an opportunity for enhancing creativity as well psychological benefits.
- It helps to relieve from stress and depression as involved person gets good body exercise and increase the blood flow in the body.
- It is powerful stress reliever for disabled child by making them involve in gardening.
- Urban gardening will protect the building from absorbing heat.
- It motivates child to have right food from age.
- It provides proper education to children and their family about importance of organic urban gardening and farming.
- For those who want to develop hands-on skills in farming or gardening, there are a number of opportunities around Nepal Matri Griha as we provide training to them.
- Urban gardening is also supporting rising numbers of urban birds around thecompound of Nepal Matri Griha.